July 24, 2009

Well That Was Fun

|

Bloggers! Holla!

There were loads of you there last night! For some reason I wasn't expecting such a giant crowd. And actually, I think most of you were there to listen, which was great. Made me wonder if I should have chosen a more exciting post, like the one Nat did about crazy sex (props to Nat!).

Actually, I liked the one I read, in the end. It was just such a ridiculous sequence of events. On Christmas fucking Eve, of all times. Plus I got to say "exploding poo" and "crackhouse" and "naked" within the same five minutes. Granted, I'm used to hiding behind an instrument when I'm in front of a crowd. For some reason it's easier to focus on a banjo than on a wrinkly piece of paper.

It was great to meet some new people too, and I loved hearing everyone read. I completely lost my shit during XUP's bit (by the way, I call her Urban Pedestrian, because I'm a rebel. Zoop is too close to Zoom for me). When she said "The ugly black dog was so excited he was trying to mount the baby" I think Evey had to hold me down so I didn't disturb the crowd.

Milan was whizzing around taking pictures the whole time... You can see some of them on the Raw Sugar Facebook group. Actually, there was an entire table of pretty women with pretty cameras. There are probably great shots from the evening all over the internets.

I did end up bringing Morty by the cafe after everything was over. He made googly eyes at the kid with curly hair and then proceeded to get spooked and crawled onto my head. He seems to like crawling onto my head, which would be fine if he wasn't a fifty pound bulldog. However, because he IS a fifty pound bulldog, I end up with a lot of shoulder sprains and sideways looks. "Why is that bulldog sitting on that girl's head?" Yeah, I know. He's a little protective.

There were a bunch of you I didn't get to meet though, sadly. Are y'all out there? Are you lurking? How did you like the evening?

My BH and I are hanging out in the woods this weekend, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to post. If not, try not to despair at the rain. Do what I do. PLAY TWISTER. (That reminds me... Can anyone recommend a great board game that two people can play? I need to increase my stash if we're going to have more rainy weekends like this one.)

12 comments:

Lynn said...

I liked your post too! I just caught a glimpse of Morty straining at the leash as you were leaving and he really is a cutie. So much bigger than I expected, though :).

My favourite game for two people is Quarto, which is like a four-dimensional tic-tac-toe game. Easy to learn, but fun for hours. I think they sell it at Mrs. Tiggy Winkles. Sir Monkeypants and I also play a lot of cribbage and spite-and-malice, two simple but fun card games.

mare ad mare said...

I loved the fact that you totally went with the dog howl outside as if it were part of the story!
As for a board game for 2 - are we talking 'pass the time' or more along the lines of something you might play before one of Nat's stories? cuz i got a great game for that ;-)

Nat said...

I missed Morty!!! Noooooooooo....
I feel like I know that dog.

Dude, you had dog exploding dog poo...

Hope your neck pain is easier to deal with than mine.

Meanie said...

BATTLESHIP! the old school version, not the electronic one.
great meeting you last night.

Milan said...

It was certainly an enjoyable evening. If there is another, I may dig up a post of my own.

Stella said...

Lynn: Morty is a bit large... But amazingly, he's twenty pounds lighter than his father. Thanks for the game suggestions!

MaM: I have more sexy games than I know what to do with. Did I just type that out loud? Anyways, I'm looking for the standard games you can buy in stores.

Nat: Try a magic bag for your neck pain, caused either by sex or clingy dogs. Works for me. Don't worry, I'll bring Morty out to the next blog thingy.

Meanie: Battleship. SMART. PS, Does anyone else think Meanie is crazy cute? Speak up! I know I do!

Milan: Throwing in a little climate change reading would certainly mix up the posts about babies and dogs. Maybe you could hold a baby and a dog while you read, just so nobody gets scared...

Hannah said...

Loved your post Stella! I'm sad we missed Morty but hopefully soon I can meet him. He must have quite the fan club by now. :)

Anonymous said...

While not having nearly as many "fun" possibilities as Twister, a great 2 person game is Scrabble, perferrably the travel version.

Great for coffee shops, pubs, parks,anywhere really.

Stella said...

Hannah: Oooh, a Morty fan club. I can just imagine the t-shirts.

Anon: Awesome suggestion.... Don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier!

Beeks said...

I think you would be shocked at the hours of amusement that a good round of Hungry Hungry Hippos can provide.

Capital Mom said...

I am here lurking so I thought I should say hi.
I liked your post too. Really, you don't get those kind of stories with cats. :-)

Anonymous said...

I loved your Christmas Story -- it ought to be a regular part of every Christmas from now on (the story, not the events). I was going to suggest scrabble, too -- it's the only board game I can even bear to play.